As part of bringing me to campus, Berkeley made a commitment to building me a lab in central campus focused on disability, access, and design. My intention is that this will serve at least two purposes: 1) for my own research project on augmentation, robotics, and prosthetics and 2) as a hub for crip engineering and disability studies on campus.
Details are still being worked out about what will be possible in the lab.
Things we know:
- It will be located on the main level of Sutardja Dai Hall — the main collaborative engineering and design building on campus
- It will be just over 500 square feet
- The building and that floor are wheelchair accessible
- We have funds for building it out to some extent
Things we don't know:
- When exactly the lab will come online, most likely summer 2016.
- We are not sure where continuing operating funds will come from, most likely soft money